ad

2016년 11월 12일 토요일

PE 11/3 Discovering New Zealand’s Natives


I brought along this New Zealand fact book to help kill time on this excruciatingly long flight. We must live as far away from there as possible.
* kill time: to do something optional or unimportant while waiting
ex> She killed time at a cafe while waiting for her appointment.
Note> Frankly, I wish I had more time to kill. So when I get on the bus for my 4-hour journey to Seoul, I kill time by bring watching some of my favorite TV dramas. Yay!

* excruciatingly: painfully; unbearably; extremely
ex> My knees were excruciatingly sore after the race.

Be that as it may, we’re going to need some entertainment, so here goes: did you know that New Zealand’s first inhabitants, the Maori, have lived there for less than a thousand years?
* Be that as it may, : That may be true, however…; Nevertheless,
ex> Yes it’s late, but be that as it may, I’m still going to practice the trombone.
ex> I’m sorry to hear about your troubles, but be that as it may , you still must carry out your responsibilities.

* here goes: said when starting something, especially if one is not ready or the result is unsure
ex> Here goes: would you mind if I dated your ex-girlfriend?

Although the book doesn’t say that the two groups got along like a house on fire, it does say that relations were amicable from the beginning. And Maori culture is still important throughout New Zealand.
* get along/on like a house on fire: to be highly compatible and quickly very friendly and happy with one another
ex> Jared and his new puppy are getting along like a house on fire.
ex> Fiona gets on like a house on fire with the girls on her team.
Note> Imagine a house on fire and how quickly it can burn down. So if anything gets along like a house on fire, it will happen quickly, vigorously, and often successfully!

* amicable: polite; friendly; avoiding disagreement
ex> He left his former job on amicable terms with his employer.

@ I brought along this New Zealand fact book.  뉴질랜드에 관한 사실들이 적힌 이 홍보 책자를 들고 왔어.
carted along ~ / am toting ~ /am packing ~

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기