ad

2014년 11월 6일 목요일

PE 11/4 Mindy Kaling Speech – Part 1

This group before me is bristling with ambitious young people, many of whom have already started charities and philanthropic organizations. And now with this diploma in hand, most of you will go on to the noblest of pursuits.
* bristling: 투성이의, 가득한
* in hand: acquired; earned
ex> Julie arrived with her resume in hand, ready to start work at once.

One of you will sort out the details of my prenup. A dozen of you will help me with my acrimonious divorce.
* sort out: to deal with the various details of an issue
ex> Jane had to sort out the details of her wedding before the weekend.
* prenup: 혼전계약
* acrimonious: 험악한

The Business School is full of crooks, the Divinity School is just a bunch of weird virgins, the School of Design is like European burnouts, and don’t even get me started on the Kennedy School.
* crooks: dishonest people; criminals
= con men; swindlers
ex> Not all bankers are crooks just because a few of them broke the law.
Note> This word also means the hooked staff of a shepherd.
* don’t (even) get me started: don’t ask me to talk about this topic because it makes me upset
ex> Do I like what the president is doing? Don’t’ even get me started on his foreign policies.

The med school is just a bunch of nerdy Indians – I can say that! Preet can say that. The rest of you, you are out of line – that is racial, how dare you.
* be out of line: to say or do something inappropriate
ex> I think Elaine was out of line saying that you were fat. She should look in a mirror!


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기