ad

2015년 8월 12일 수요일

PE 8/11 George Saunders – Syracuse University Commencement Speech


* in one’s favor: to one’s advantage or benefit
ex> One thing our opponent has in their favor is a lot of fans to cheer them on.

* real life: life as it is lived in the real world, with both good and bad events
ex> I didn’t get my first taste of real life until I graduated from college.
Note> On the Internet, “real life” refers to life offline. Online, the acronym “IRL” stands for “in real life,” with the meaning “not on the Internet.”

* come to one’s defense: to voluntarily defend another person against criticism
ex> Jack came to my defense when the manager accused me of giving away company secrets.

* near and dear: closely and fondly familiar
ex> We had to reduce our wedding guest list to those who are near and dear.

* drop away: to slowly go away or become removed
ex> Our graduating class holds reunions every five years so friendships don’t drop away.
ex> Ever since the illness, I can feel my energy dropping away at about 3 o’clock every day.

* heartfelt: sincere; strongly felt
ex> My grandfather sent me his heartfelt wishes for a successful future.

* get/have one’s butt kicked: There are a few variations to this casual expression. To kick (some) butt is to compete or win in an assertive, decisive way. Butt is considered a more acceptable noun than the more vulgar term ass, which is sometimes substituted in these expressions.
ex> Did you watch the Ocelots get their butts kicked in the game yesterday?


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기