ad

2015년 8월 6일 목요일

PE 8/6 Costa Rica – A Nation of Peace


* catch one’s eye: to be noticed by someone
ex> This silver bracelet caught my eye at a craft fair, so I bought it as a gift for my sister.

* have it both ways: to benefit from two conflicting aspects of a situation
ex> Eating too much of your favorite ice cream will make you gain weight because you can’t have it both ways.
Note> This phrase is usually used in the negative. I hear some people say that you can’t be the best mom and best career woman at the same time. What do you think? Can working moms have it both ways?

* abolish: to officially eliminate something
ex> Countries that abolish capital punishment do not experience an increase in violent crime.

* squabble: <noun> a noisy disagreement over a minor matter; <verb> to engage in this
ex> I used to squabble with my younger brother, but now we’re the best of friends.
ex> A squabble over fishing rights is preventing the two countries from maintaining peace.

* stand the test of time: to exist for a long time through strength, quality, etc.
ex> These castle walls were built without mortar, but have stood the test of time.
ex> I have no doubt that our relationship will stand the test of time.

* follow one’s lead: to do what someone else has successfully done
ex> If we ban the use of harmful pesticides, other countries will follow our lead.

* haven’t the foggiest idea: This expression is used when someone is confronted with a situation that doesn’t make any sense to them. It means the same as “I haven’t the slightest idea” or “I haven’t got a clue.”
ex> I haven’t the foggiest idea, but I’ll bet that Vince has something to do with it.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기