ad

2012년 5월 27일 일요일

5/25 Phone Calls

DIALOG>> I can't believe you are saying this over the phone.

A: Oh, my god! Did you just say you want to break up?
B: Yeah, I don't think it's going to work between us.
A: I can't believe you are saying this over the phone.
B: I thought saying this to your face would be harder.
A: I think we should meet and talk about this.
B: No, I've already made up my mind.


RESPONSE>> Tell me about a memorable (phone) conversation you had with someone. Why was that conversation so special?

My mother rang me up one time when I was in high school.
* ring up: 전화를 걸다, make a call
ex> She rang me up in the middle of the night.

It was unexpected because my mother rarely calls me, especially during the day.

I knew something wasn't right straight away due to the tone of her voice.
* straight away: 즉시
ex> She said something wasn't right.

She had called to break the news of my grandmother's death.
* break the news: 소식을 알리다
ex> I'm sorry to break the sad news to you.

I was shocked because I had seen her just  the week before.
ex> I was shocked by her sudden death.

I can remember the conversation like it was yesterday.

I was speechless for a long time and I remember asking my mom over and over whether she was okay.
* be speechless: 할 말을 잃다
* over and over: 계속해서

It was all too much for me to take in and I just burst into tears.
* take in: 받아들이다, 소화하다
* burst into tears: 눈물을 터뜨리다
ex> He couldn't take in what happened to him.
ex> She burst into tears when she heard of her friend's death.

I tried my best to comfort my mom during the funeral.


@ I'll give you a ring later on.  내가 나중에 전화할게.

1. I'll ring you up when I have the time.
2. I can't wait to break the news to everyone.
3. It was too big an incident for a kid to take in.
4. She suddenly burst into tears.



댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기