ad

2015년 11월 17일 화요일

PE 11/17 Julian Schnabel Interview


* acclaimed: famous for excelling at something
ex> He worked alongside people for many years who had no idea he was an acclaimed composer.
Note> The word acclaim comes from the Latin word clamare, which means “to shout.” It’s the same root that gives us the word exclaim, which means “to shout out loud.”

* come about: to develop into a reality; happen
ex> My work with underprivileged children in Laos came about through a college friends.

* not good enough: unworthy of one’s time or attention
ex> I know you love him, but I really feel he’s not good enough for you.

* happen to: do incidentally; do by chance
ex> I happened to find a hardware store on my way here, so I bought all the fasteners we’ll need.
Note> The new-archaic root word hap, which means “good fortune,” came to English from Old Norse, the language of the Vikings who conquered parts of the British Isles. It is the root of many English words related to good or bad luck, like happy, mishap, hapless and perhaps.

* put up with: to endure
ex> Because of the crowded conditions, we had to put up with some people not smelling as good as they could have.

* deal with: to interact with; tolerate
ex> In my old job, I had to deal with unhappy customers all day.

* not know what to do with oneself: 아주 불안하다, 뭘 해야 할지 모르다
This expression is similar to “fit to be tied” (angry) and “beside oneself” (distraught) or “out of sorts” (a general abnormal emotional state). However, to “not know what to do with oneself” carries the idea of restlessness and agitation.
ex> Beginner’s luck, I guess. I’m so glad you brought these games, or I wouldn’t know what to do with myself.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기