ad

2015년 12월 20일 일요일

PE 12/15 Meredith Vieira Speech


* on the road: traveling; touring or working
ex> My uncle’s career meant that he was on the road for ten months of the year.

* media darling: a popular, well-liked celebrity
ex> You’ll never become a media darling if you keep throwing drinks at reporters.
Note> Darling is used as an affectionate form of address to a beloved person. You can use this term to your children, spouse, and loved ones.

* have it all: to be successful in every way
ex> Thanks to his hard work and good luck, my cousin now has it all.

* go along: to participate in a situation without objecting
ex> Fanny would go along with her older brother’s crazy schemes because they were often exciting.

* commit to something: to dedicate oneself to doing something fully
ex> Once I committed to becoming a better person, everything in my life improved.

* listen to one’s gut: to trust one’s instincts
ex> If I had listened to my gut, I would’ve changed careers a long time ago.
Note> Native speakers also use the expression “have a gut feeling” to mean the same thing. It means to have an intuitive feeling about something.

* churning: 불안한, 혼란스러운, 요동치는
Churning is literally the process of turning milk or cream into butter by agitating it. The term is also applied to the act of a stockbroker excessively trading their customer’s securities to increase their commissions.
ex> Do I seem calm to you” That’s amazing, because I’m churning inside.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기