ad

2015년 12월 4일 금요일

PE 11/30 Afraid of the Dentist


* procrastinate: to delay doing something that should be done
ex> I want to get my project finished, but I procrastinate by chatting with friends on facebook.
Note> The Latin roots of procrastinate literally mean “put forward to.” The question is, does tomorrow really ever come.

* deep-seated: in place for a long time and difficult to change
ex> It’s healthy to have no beliefs that are so deep-seated that they can’t be changed by a well-supported argument.

* pull oneself together: to regain control over one’s emotions
ex> Erica goes a little crazy when she does computer work, but she always manages to pull herself together.

* fed up: angry about something that has happened for a long time
ex> she was so fed up with her daughter’s messy room that she put everything that was on the floor into bags.

* so be it: that’s the way it is (expression of acceptance or resignation)
ex> If Jackie doesn’t want to answer my emails, so be it.
ex> If you genuinely think it’s best to leave your job, then so be it, I guess.

* face one’s demons: to confront one’s fears
ex> Coleen is determined to face her demons and take a public speaking course.
ex> It takes a lot of courage to take your demons, so I admire you for making another attempt at learning to swim.
Note> The word demon hasn’t always referred to an evil spirit. The Latin word daemon meant “guiding spirit” or “lesser god.”

* smart: 따끔따끔 쓰리다, 얼얼하다, 쑤시다
This word has two meanings that seem unconnected. As an adjective, it means “intelligent.” As a verb, it means “to hurt.” A good word to remember that connects these two meanings is sharp: one can have a sharp pain, and a smart person can be described as sharp.
ex> I’m so sorry! I meant to warn you about that open cupboard door above your head. Are you okay? – It smarts, but I’ll be fine. I should’ve looked before I stood up.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기