ad

2015년 12월 30일 수요일

PE 12/28 Getting Pete to Sing


* I’m good: I am content and satisfied; I don’t need anything
ex> I have plenty of religious literature already, so I’m good, thanks.

* regular: one who is often at a particular establishment
ex> Tom noticed that one of the library’s regulars hadn’t been there for several weeks.

* no dice: absolutely not; it is impossible
ex> I asked my brother-in-law if he could loan me the money, and he said “No dice.”

* fall for something: to be fooled by something
ex> You didn’t fall for that old excuse about his dog eating his homework, did you?

* brace oneself: to prepare oneself for something intense
ex> I had that same crazy bus driver again, and had to brace myself the entire ride.
ex> Brace yourself, because I’m about to tell you something you won’t believe.

* bring down the house: to receive very positive audience response
ex> During Darren’s toast to the bridesmaids, he told a joke that brought down the house.
Note> This phrase signifies applause or cheering so thunderous that it could, in theory, make the playhouse collapse. The idiom does not refer to the actual destruction or collapse of a structure.

* carry a tune: 정확한 음으로 노래 부르다, 가락이 틀리지 않다
This expression is used only in reference to singing, and not to playing musical instruments. A variation of it is sometimes used to describe someone who sings badly: “He/She can’t carry a tune in a basket.”

ex> My grandfather’s hands are too shaky to play the accordion any more, but he can still carry a tune.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기