ad

2014년 11월 6일 목요일

PE 11/5 A Funny Way to Give Someone a Promotion

I must admit that when this came to my attention I was completely taken aback.
* come to one’s attention: to be made aware of something
ex> It had come to her attention that the bottom of her dress was in a puddle of water.
* taken aback: surprised and/or confused
ex> I was taken aback by the policeman’s rude response when I asked him for directions.

Everything is totally on the the up-and-up! Remember that sales seminar the company paid for two months ago? I guess it really helped me.
* on the up-and-up: legitimate, honest
ex> The company was on the up-and-up, despite rumors to the contrary.
Note> this phrase can also mean “on the rise.”
ex> Twitter’s value is on the up-and-up.

Relax Grant! Did you think I bought you in here to give you the axe? I’m here to offer you a promotion!
* give someone the axe: to fire someone
= give someone the pink slip; let someone go; lay someone off
ex> Just before Tom was eligible for retirement benefits, the company gave him the axe.
Note> This phrase can be used in when abruptly terminating a relationship, too.
ex> Lisa gave Bill the axe after seeing him with another woman.

What? Oh my god, you scared me to death! This conversation seemed completely surreal, so I didn't know what to think.
* surreal: 아주 이상한, 초현실적인

This is quite an honor! Though I must say your delivery leaves much to be desired.
* leave much to be desired: to be inadequate
ex> The condition of the house leaves much to be desired, but the price is too good to pass up.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기