ad

2014년 11월 13일 목요일

PE 11/10 I Already Finished My Christmas Shopping

It sounds too good to be true. I’ll stick with shopping the old-fashioned way – going into the store and actually being able to pick up what I’m going to buy.
* too good to be true: describing a deal or promise that promises a lot of benefits to the customer
ex> I know it sounds too good to be true, but this TV is really on sale for 90 percent off.

I guess that triggers a sense of nostalgia for when we were kids. But the crowds make me want to hightail it out of there.
* hightail it out of a place: to leave in a hurry
ex> As soon as the fight started, my friends and I hightailed it out of the bar.
Note> When a horse starts running, it tosses its tail up in the air, which is why it’s called “hightail.”

That sounds good when you say it, but when I’m actually in the mall getting jostled, fighting for the last sweater on the shelf, and having to park my car half a mile away… I’ll pass.
* pass: to decline to participate
ex> I’ll pass on the French fries this time and have a salad instead.

On second thought, maybe you should give me the name of that website. Maybe I can make the holidays a little less stressful this year.
* on second thought: after further consideration
ex> Looks like the rain has stopped. On second thought, let’s go hiking after all.

I think I know the first person I’m going to shop for. Thanks for setting me straight, Mable. Ha ha ha!
* set someone straight: to correct someone
= straightening things out; helping me see the reality of things
ex> After Timmy pushed the opposing player, the referee set him straight and gave him a yellow card.
ex> I set my daughter straight when she tried to leave wearing an inappropriate outfit.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기