ad

2014년 11월 19일 수요일

PE 11/14 Driving Home from College for Thanksgiving Break

Because I really don’t want to be on the road all day. Listen, we only have 5 days to spend at home for Thanksgiving, then it’s back to the grind.
* the (daily) grind: the day-to-day activities a person is required to do, be it work or school
ex> After 40 years of the daily grind, Rhonda finally retired and began to travel.
Note> We often use expressions like the “daily grind” or “back to the grind.”

We go through this every time we get a break from school. I want to take the scenic route and you want to take the highway. Then we sit on the highway in stop-and-go traffic for a few hours until you realized the back roads are faster.
* stop-and-go traffic: heavy traffic that moves sporadically
= bumper-to-bumper traffic; backed-up traffic; congested traffic
ex> It’s the stop-and-go traffic that causes the most stress for commuters.

Well, I heard on the news that most people aren't leaving until after 3 p.m. because they still have to go to work. So we got a head start.
* head start: the advantage gained by beginning something before anyone else.
ex> Ricky gave his sister a one-minute head start when they raced from school to home.

We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. I figure if I go a little over the speed limit, we should beat the traffic.
* cross that bridge when one comes to it: to address something only when it is absolutely necessary
ex> It’s true that cancer is very common in my family, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Note> “Cross the bridge” is a metaphor for solving a problem or overcoming an obstacle.

You mean, “I told you so?” I wouldn't dream of it!
wouldn't dream of: it’s something one would never consider doing/saying
ex> Although Tanya may like me, Bill, I wouldn't dream of dating your ex-girlfriend.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기