ad

2014년 11월 15일 토요일

PE 11/13 La Jolla

That being said, how did you manage to afford to live here?
* that being said: with those facts stated
= having said that; that said; with that being said
ex> I woke up with a really bad headache. That being said, I’m going to take an aspirin and go back to bed.

That must have been something, rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous.
* rub shoulders: to socialize
ex> We spent the evening rubbing shoulders with politicians and business leaders alike.
Note> You can also “rub elbows with people, too. Both phrases mean the same thing.

It’s not like that here. This isn't at all like Beverly Hills. People live here because they like the seaside, not because they want to be in the limelight.
* the limelight: the center of attention
ex> Blake enjoyed being in the limelight and having people ask for his autograph.

Not at all! In fact, I used to be a big-time adrenaline junkie!
* adrenaline junkie: a person who likes to partake in dangerous activities or extreme sports.
ex> When he turned 50, John took up extreme sports and became a middle-aged adrenaline junkie.

Call me crazy, but I prefer sitting on the beach with a good book over jumping off a cliff into an oncoming wave!
* call me crazy, but…: you may not agree with me, but…
ex> Call me crazy, but isn't it the other way to Santa Fe?
ex> You might call me crazy, but my favorite author writes children’s books.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기