ad

2014년 11월 26일 수요일

PE 11/25 Mindy Kaling Speech – Part 4

You wrote the Terms and Conditions that I scroll through quickly while I download the update for Candy Crush. Terms and Conditions are the only things keeping us from the purge, everybody. I don’t read them – I just hit Accept. iTunes may own my ovaries for all I know.
* keep someone from: to prevent a person from doing something
ex> I don’t want to keep you from something more important, but I really would like to talk to you.
Note> People often shorten this expression to “I don’t want to keep you.”
* for all I know: I’m not sure if this is true or not; to speculate
ex> They left two hours ago. For all I know, they’re halfway to Busan by now.

The seductive southern lawyers from John Grisham novels get all the glory, the Noah Feldmans, but the rest of you form the foundation for our day to day lives. It’s backbreaking and often, there is not much glory.
* backbreaking: physically demanding
ex> Working in the construction business entails long hours of backbreaking work.
Note> People use this phrase in the verb form, “break one’s back.”
ex> My parents broke their backs to put us through college.

Either way, you can’t go wrong. I look at you and see our nation’s future.
* you can’t go wrong: there is no way to fail
ex> You can’t go wrong by telling the truth at all times.

Those are all positions of such great influence. Understand that one day you will have the power to make a difference.
* make a difference: to create a positive change
ex> Amy spent her later years working to make a difference in the lives of poor children.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기