ad

2014년 11월 6일 목요일

PE 11/3 Bringing Out the Winter Clothes

What’s all the thumping and scraping up there? It sounds like you’re trying to hide a body!
* thump: 쿵쿵거리다
* scrape: 긁다

I can’t believe it’s almost wintertime again. It feels like only yesterday when we were on the beach making sandcastles.
* it feels like just/only yesterday: to comment that time is moving quickly
ex> It feels like only yesterday when Bill was just a baby, and now he’s going to college!

Uh, Victor. I hate to break the news to you, but those are the sweaters my mother gave us two years ago. And you told her you loved them!
* I hate to break the news to you, but…: a way of prefacing bad news or a restating of something someone already knows
ex> As Sean was looking for his car, a kid walked up and said, “I hate to break the news to you, but your car was towed away.”

Oops. I guess I let the cat out of the bag! You must have known I only said that to make her feel good.
* let the cat out of the bag: the secret has been told
ex> We tried to keep the party a secret, but Tom let the cat out of the bag.

Yeah, I knew. And to tell you the truth, I hate them too. But we can’t let her know that.
* to tell you the truth: to make an admission of one’s opinion or about one’s experience
ex> To tell you the truth, I prefer Mexican food over Italian food.

It’s a deal. Now let me go get my shorts and summer shirts while you throw those clothes in the dryer with something to get that god-awful smell out of them!
* god-awful: horrible
ex> Did you see the god-awful dress that famous actress wore at the awards show last night?


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기