ad

2014년 11월 19일 수요일

PE 11/19 Leaving Work Early for Thanksgiving Weekend

Dave, I’m heading to my parents’ house for Thanksgiving tonight and was hoping to hit the road a little early. Do you mind?
* hit the road: to begin a journey
ex> We hit the road at dawn and drove until dusk.

Let’s plan to leave at 2:00, so we can talk shop over lunch and plan for the week ahead. Then we’ll all leave together.
* talk shop: to discuss business or work matters
ex> John likes to talk shop at parties, which is why he rarely is invited out.
ex> It’s our last night at the sales conference, so let’s not talk shop tonight, if you don’t mind.

You probably didn't know this about me, but I've been a competitive snowboarder for the last 20 years. Although I race mostly old guys like me now, I was no flash in the pan when I was younger. I used to be a high-ranking racer as a teenager.
* flash in the pan: a sudden success that neither lasts nor is repeated
ex> The pop band was a flash in the pan with one hit song before they disappeared into obscurity.

You’re in luck! Littleton Mountain is right near my parents’ house. I’ll drive you there and maybe I can come watch you race.
* be in luck: to encounter favorable conditions
= It’s your lucky day; Luck is on your side; Lucky you!
ex> You’re in luck! We have no more seats in economy, so we have to move you to first class.

Sounds like a plan. I’ll go put the finishing touches on the Peterman report and have it in your hands by 11.
* the finishing touches: the last steps taken in a project
ex> The builder put the finishing touches on the roof just before the storm hit.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기