ad

2014년 11월 6일 목요일

PE 10/30 Jamaica: Port Royal Seafood Festival

Look at the crowds! I thought a seafood festival would be a more subdued experience. You know, a dozen tents with different styles of fish for sale.
* subdued: 차분한

Not the Port Royal Seafood Festival! This is Jamaica’s signature food festival. That’s why so many famous people are here.
* signature: something a person or place is famous for
ex> Elvis’s signature song was “Love me Tender.”

Well, since I’m not from Jamaica, I have no idea who these so-called famous people are. Do you mean like that guy with the funny cowboy hat?
* so-called: the name something is referred to as, often sarcastically
ex> The so-called world champions of baseball lost five games in a row.

Well, they’re mostly here to see Ziggy Marley, Bob Marley’s son, perform later. But he’s also competing in the cook-off. I take my hat off to him for donating his time for this event.
* take one’s hat off to someone / hats off to someone: a way of showing admiration for someone
ex> I take my hat off to all of the people who serve in the military to defend their country.
ex> Hats off to anyone who can figure out how to fix the economy!

Oh, right! I have a couple of his albums. But all this talk about shrimp is making me hungry. Let’s get some food because my stomach is rumbling.
* one’s stomach is rumbling: to be very hungry
= growling; starving; so hungry I could eat a horse
ex> Tom was very embarrassed because everybody in the library could hear his stomach rumbling.

Someone’s got deep pockets today! Thanks! How about you go get the beer over there and I’ll wait here for the fish?
* deep pockets: wealth
ex> Despite her deep pockets, she was always looking for a bargain when she went shopping.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기