ad

2016년 1월 29일 금요일

PE 1/22 A Very Fancy New Shirt


* pay top dollar: to pay a high price
ex> That couple paid top dollar for their apartment just before the market went down.
Note> When a famous singer from abroad comes to Korea for a concert, you can expect to pay top dollar for good seats. When I heard the Berlin Philharmonic were coming, I knew I would have to pay top dollar to see them.

* own it: to do or wear something with pride and confidence
ex> Nancy’s daughter is an effective performer because she really owns it when she sings.

* frou-frou: frills or ornamentation
ex> Mr. Garrett had asked for simple decorations, not for everything to be covered in frou-frou.

* hindsight: recognized the importance or needs of a situations after it has happened
ex> If we make use of our hindsight of the nation’s history, we can prevent future mistakes.

* on target: correct; appropriate for achieving a desired outcome
ex> My boss thinks your ad campaign idea is completely on target, and would like to start right away.

* goodness knows: polite variation of “God knows” (used to emphasize a point or express uncertainty)

* can hardly wait: 몹시 바라다, 빨리 ~하고 싶어 하다
There is a common but incorrect version of the above expression: I can’t hardly wait. This is a double negative, and should be avoided. There’s an American movie from 1998 called I Can’t Hardly Wait, adding to the confusion.
ex> I can hardly wait to see what grandma and granddad got me for my birthday. They always find great gifts for me.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기