ad

2016년 1월 23일 토요일

PE 1/6 A Sign of the Times


* time-honored: respected or valued because it has existed for a long time
ex> My family has this time-honored custom of making up food baskets for the poor each winter.

* hand something down: to give something to a later generation
ex> These recipes have been handed down in my family for generations.

* of one’s own accord: by one’s own choice; without being asked
ex> My parents were stunned when I cleaned up my room of my own accord.

* cutting edge: the latest or most advanced
ex> Nick insists on having a cutting edge computer, and he’s willing to pay for it.
Note> Literally, the cutting edge is the sharp edge of something that is used to cut things.

* zip: nothing; zero
ex> Our team beat the visiting team five to zip.

* make money hand over fist: to make lots of money quickly
ex> The company made money hand over fist until their product was illegally copied.

* out of pocket: 손해를 보아, (돈을) 잃은
ex> If we cancel the show, we’ll be out of pocket thousands of dollars.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기