ad

2013년 5월 23일 목요일

EBS World News - Jolie’s Double Mastectomy



Jolie’s Double Mastectomy 1
Jolie's difficult battle over this decision started in February of this year, she writes in the New York Times overnight. My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer. Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much as I could. I made a decision to have a preventative double mastectomy. Cancer took the life of her own beloved mother at only 56. Jolie shared the difficulty of explaining that to her six children. She held out long enough to meet the first of her grandchildren and hold them in her arms but my other children will never have the chance to know her.

 Key Vocabulary & Expressions
overnight 갑자기하룻밤에 사이에  ex> Psy became a world star overnight.
breast cancer 유방암
proactive [|proʊ|ӕktɪv] 주도적인앞서서 대처하는
preventative = preventive  ex> preventative measures
double mastectomy 양쪽 유방 절제술
hold out 견디다버티다저항하다  
 ex> The We can stay here for as long as our supplies hold out.  


Jolie’s Double Mastectomy 2
We often speak of mommy's mommy and I find myself trying to explain the illness that took her away from us. They have asked if the same could happen to me. The decision to have a mastectomy was not easy, but it is one I am very happy that I made. I can tell my children that they don't need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer. Jolie underwent the medical procedure starting in February and completing the process on April 27th with her partner, Brad Pitt, by her side, calling him loving and supportive and a very important part of the transition. We managed to find moments to laugh together. We knew this was the right thing to do for our family and that it would bring us closer and it has.

Key Vocabulary & Expressions
undergo ~ 경험하다받다당하다
medical procedure 의료 시술
process 절차과정
transition 변화변천

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기