ad

2013년 7월 19일 금요일

PE 7/18 Liberty Bell

Welcome to Liberty Bell Center. If you have any questions, fire away.
* fire away: 말하다, 질문하다; 시작하다
ex> I understand you have some questions for me. Fire away!
ex> Sure I will listen to you practice your song! Let me get comfortable in my chair, and then fire away.

It says here that it cost a small fortune to buy it from a London foundry.
* a small fortune: 상당한 돈
ex> That holiday cost me a small fortune.
ex> I didn't realized that buying a new cellphone would cost me a small fortune.
* foundry [|faʊndri]: 주조 공장

To add insult to injury, after it was delivered in 1752 it cracked the first time it was rung.
* to add insult to injury: 설상가상으로
ex> To add insult to injury, the day after they announced an increase in income taxes, they told us that we won't be getting a bonus this year!

Well, it was melted down and recast two more times before it was hung in the bell tower, where it remained until 1846.
* recast: 개주하다, 고쳐 만들다

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기